|Pontefract All Saints Heritage
|Pre 1300||A Church existed on the site|
|Around 1300||The Chancel rebuilt|
|Before 1341||The Lower part of the Tower and Trancepts added|
|Mid 14 c||The Belfry was added|
|Late 14c||The Lantern was added.
Some say as an octagon
Others as a circular lantern
|1598||There may have been as many as 12 bells in the Tower|
The Civil War
|The Church was attacked many times and the double helix
staircase may have been built at that time as part of the siege works.
The church was ruined in the fighting.
Many died in the tower.
The tower was probably burnt out.
The Lantern was ruined.
Bell metal is also gunmetal !!
Only one bell is thought to have survived.
|1660||The Lantern collapsed, causing other damage|
|Late 17c||The current Octagon Lantern is built.|
|1831||The tower and Chancel were restored by R.D Chantrell.|
|1863||6 Bells were installed|
|1905||The Old tenor bell was recast and 2 new trebles added
to give the current ring of 8 bells.
Cost £349 12s 4d